26 May, 2009

Romanian Update. Late Breaking News in the Magical Community!

My Romanian has truly come back, through my own personal trial by fire: performing magic.
When I left Zalau (my exchange city) four years ago, I was under the impression that I had fairly well mastered the local dialect and had a pretty good handle on the situation. Perhaps this was youthful exuberance, or maybe I now have the brain power to truly understand how complex the language is.

Consider this, these days I am more prone to speaking in a slightly prosaic and archaic manner,
to give the feel of a gentile Englishman who has been transported from the 18th century to the present. What I lacked in Romanian was the breadth and depth of vocabulary to express myself in the manner to which I am accustomed. In 2004-2005 I knew the words and the gestures of everday speech: Hi, how are you doing, et cetera.
Now, I recognize that this simplistic verse does not lend itself to complexities of magic; or at least, not the way I want my magic to be seen. I want to create an atmosphere of elegance, and that is what I am working on now.

Let us take a quick look at some viable alternatives to commonly used words:

Common-
Tare (Means hard, or in slang, cool)
Ce faci (What are you doing/ what's up)

Prosaic-
Stras(h)nic (Means powerful, strong)
Cum te port(z)i? (How do you carry yourself?)

As you can see, not only do the prosaic words/phrases translate better, they also sound REALLY COOL.

And, on the magical front:
I have been conversing with several internationally acclaimed magicians on a topic of a card production. It turns out, I have created this move, as it has never been seen or heard of before!
I'll drop in a link, or a video here in the next couple of days so you can see it, should you so desire.

And, finally, a joke, so as to end on a humorous note.
(Ardelean is a man from Ardeal: the region that encompasses Zalau and several other cities. Also well known from being very slow in action and speech.)

So, a man from Bucuresti, Maramures, and Ardeal decide to have a contest to see who can gather the most snails in an hour.
After the alloted time has passed, they all reconvene.
The man from Bucuresti opens his bag and shows 125 snails.
The man from Maramures opens his bag and shows 250 snails.
The man from Ardeal opens his bag and shows it empty.
When asked why he didn't pick any snails he explains:
"When.. ever.. I went to pick up a.. snail, the snail... went... whoosh!"

Have a nice time you all. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment